Swiss Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN)
Context and objectives
- The CO2 Act and Ordinance came into effect 1 January 2013.
- The act seeks to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Switzerland by at least 20% from their 1990 level by 2020.
- In addition to a tax on fossil fuels, measures are planned for the transportation, manufacturing, and construction sectors.
- If the tax burden is too great, companies in federally designated sectors can be exempted if they commit to reducing their CO2 emissions.
- Evaluate, as a federal auditor, emissions reduction targets proposed by companies in French-speaking Switzerland that are seeking exemption
- In-depth review of potential energy savings proposals submitted by energy experts, including AEnEC (Agence de l’énergie pour l’économie), ACT (Agence Cleantech Suisse), and others
- Additional energy audit for companies
- 50 company audits are conducted annually