The Federal Offices for Agriculture, for the Environment and for Spatial Development of the states of Fribourg, Bern and Vaud
2009 – 2014, followed by a 5-year implementation phase (2015-2019)
Context and objectives
- The project is part of the 32 projects list supported by the third phase of the “Model projects for a sustainable land development 2014-2018“ program.
- The region is of national strategic importance for agricultural production.
- There is a need for a sustainable water management considering the increasing frequency of shortage and excess of water.
- There is a new political strategy for climate change adaptation.
- There is a lack of coordination between the three involved states due to the complexity of the organizational structures.
- Define the bases and the instruments for a IWRM
- Develop the framework conditions of a IRWM in the concerned state institutions (BE, FR, VD)
- Analyze the replicability of the approach in other territories.
- Conduction of a summary that captures, collects, compares and analyzes the various needs and types of water uses as a resource as well as the protection measures.
- Identification of solutions for existing and potential conflicts, at the organizational level (who), on roles and procedures (what, how) and at a technical level (which infrastructure) as part of pilot projects.
- Proposal for short-term recommendations (shortage / excess) and long term management (sustainable water management) for the respective stakeholders and decision makers.
For more information
- Projets-modèles de la confédération, site de l’are (in French)
- Présentation du projet, site de l’are (in French)
Channel and pump in the Seeland