Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Context and objectives
- The Graduate Institute has begun a reflexion on sustainable development integration into its operations, at the moment of creation of the new Campus de la Paix, constituted of two new emblematic buildings in Sécheron, and of its move in fall 2013
- Evaluate the sustainability performance level of the Institute and compare it to best practices with a simplified diagnostic tool similar to lifecycle analysis.
- Create and facilitate a working group with representatives of different units of the Institute, to ensure proper steering, good internalisation and a collaborative dynamic.
- Realise a tailored action plan developed together with unit managers, ensuring to be in accordance with corporate priorities and culture.
- Since its installation in the new Campus de la Paix, the Graduate Institute has reduced by half the number of parking places. A “sustainable mobility” bonus is given to staff members who walk, cycle or use public transportation to go to work. Some resistance was felt at the beginning but now many people enjoy not having traffic and parking stress any more…
- The Graduate Institute, after following Sofies trainings on sustainable procurement and products, decided to give a special focus to ecological cleaning. It has appointed Realise, a professional reinsertion association specialised in microfiber and water or ecological products cleaning. While sustaining social economy and ecological cleaning, the Institute could also avoid a heavy tender process thanks to the appointment of a non-profit organisation.
- Since September 2014, the Institute has internalised its sustainability management thanks to coaching and specific tools developed by Sofies.
For more information